Welcome to our school. West SILC is a special school for pupils aged 2 to 19 years, on different specialist and mainstream sites. We are based in the West of Leeds and cater for a wide range of needs from moderate learning difficulties; severe learning difficulties; complex and multiple learning needs; Asperger’s; Autism and social and emotional and mental health needs. Some students have additional needs – physical; medical; speech and language; visual, hearing or sensory impairment.
I am very proud of our whole school community, it is a wonderful place where everyone enjoys learning and are effectively supported to maximise their potential. Our teaching and learning staff are very committed to the children and young people and strive to bring out the very best in all of them. We work extremely hard to support all our children and young people to develop the skills they will need for the future, particularly focusing on communication, independence and mobility. We are wholly committed to ensuring our school follows restorative principles. This means our ethos demonstrates:
- Our school as a learning community, with relationships at its centre
- We work hard to build, maintain and repair relationships through respectful talk and appreciation of others
- We work in circles to give everyone a voice, and to listen to those voices
- We build the skills to recognise and manage our own feelings in a safe, caring environment
West SILC was rated "Good” with Leadership and Management being judged “Outstanding" in its last Ofsted inspection in July 2013 – follow the link on this page to read the full report. A visit is really the only way to see what we can truly offer to you and your child. Contact the school office and we will delighted to show you around.
Michelle Wilman - Principal
We aim for all our pupils, irrespective of social class, age, gender, ability, religion, race or creed to:
- Develop confidence, independence and self esteem.
- Actively contribute to their own learning.
- Develop respect for themselves and others.
- Enjoy and achieve their full potential.
We believe that all learners should have the opportunity to work and play alongside their mainstream peer group.
We wish to support and develop schools in the west wedge as safe and happy environments where children and young people with learning difficulties and disabilities can develop a positive attitude to learning and explore their potential.
Think before you send Campaign
The Leeds Safeguarding Childrens Board, along with its West Yorkshire partners, has launched the "Think before you send" campaign which is to raise awareness of the consequences of sexting amongst teenagers. If you would like to know more about the campaign, please click on the following link:
Pokemon Go - Safety Advice
As you may be aware the "Pokemon Go" game has recently been released in the UK. As a result of this, a number of concerns have been raised for the safety of individuals pursuing characters within the game.
Safer Partnerships of West Yorkshire Police have given the following advice:
- Be cautious to alerting strangers to where you will be in future
- Be careful where you leave "beacons"
- Parents/carers should supervision children when using the App
- Always pay attention to your surroundings and do not play in areas where traffic runs through, or in dangerous locations i.e. near water, cliff tops, etc.
- Where possible, play with friends and stay in a group, having one of your friends as a "lookout".
- Play at home - you can use lures to attract Pokemon to you
- Keep your device safe and out of sight.
Primary PE & Sport Premium Award
We were very proud to receive a Highly Commended Award at the Primary PE and Sport Premium Awards initiatve. Well done to Angela Lydon for all her hard work! More details on the PE and Sport Premium page.
Latest Ofsted Report
We were rated Good with Outstanding Features in our last Ofsted Inspection in July 2013. For details of our last inspection, please click on the link below. http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/134884
Main Site (Milestone)
4 Town Street, Stanningley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS28 6HL Tel: 0113 38624500113 3862450 E:email@example.com